Wednesday, December 5, 2012

ESPN: Roach: Expect no Pacquiao-Marquez V

By Kieran Mulvaney | ESPN.com

LAS VEGAS -- Not everybody is completely enamored with the idea of Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez meeting in the ring for a fourth time. Among them, it seems, is Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach.

"I thought Manny won all three fights. I don't need a fourth fight to convince me," he told ESPN.com recently. "But after the last fight, where we got booed so loudly, I think he deserves the rematch and that's why we're here right now."

The reception that greeted Pacquiao's majority decision win last year clearly rankles. Roach mentioned it again Tuesday while talking to a small group of writers at the MGM Grand.

"I thought Manny won the fight," he said. "But the booing was very loud and very vocal. Someone said, 'Why aren't you smiling? You won the fight.' And I said, 'It's very hard to smile when you're being booed that bad.'"

Whatever the outcome may be Saturday night, don't expect a fifth installment of this rivalry.

"It's the last time," Roach said. "We're going to knock him out, end of story."

On that, at least, he and his fighter's opponent agree.

"This is the last fight with Manny," Marquez said Tuesday. "I don't know what will happen in the ring, but this is the last time."

No comments:

Post a Comment